Monday, January 25, 2010

Plein Air Portrait

I just stumbled across an old interview I had with Scout Magazine in the fall and thought I would post it here. When they asked for a picture of me for the interview, I panicked as I realized I didn't have an appropriate portrait of myself. So I went into the back yard and held an old framed print of a landscape behind me and had my boyfriend take some shots. The lighting worked out perfectly, as it was an overcast cloudy day in vancouver (per usual) so the light was diffused. I was so surprised that it looked like a studio shot. If you want to try this method, make sure to use a long lens, ( a 90mm or longer) as shorter lenses distort the photo. I think the most common portraiture mistake comes from the photographer shooting too close to the subject with a short lens.

2 comments:

Robin Thomas said...

Well, of course you are beautiful. Always nice to see the face that belongs to the hands that produce the work I admire...

Michelle said...

Great idea, you look fabulous! Thank for featuring my work in your post, your blog is great!